You have to be a vulture. Groomed my feathers and flew to see what meat I could pluck from the latest carcass, a 1968 912 Targa, that arrived at Partsheaven. Managed to score a jack and some other bits. Then flew back home to wErk on Project Cockpit Revisited (PCR).
I did something either completely brilliant or absolutely asinine. I am in the process of removing the vinyl edging from the entire carpet.
I certainly did…without shame.
Why? Because the lightweight perlon carpet kit I installed about eight years ago has vinyl edging which is not correct. It should be cloth. Always bugged me but damn if I was going to buy another carpet kit and do that project again. However, PCR is all about getting the details right. Then I found my “out”. There are at least two ’68 TRs that have the lightweight carpet kit with absolutely NO EDGING. The first pic below is from TR 11820912 owned by Tim Barker (photo credit Tim Barker). The second pic is the ex-Hamilton TR (photo credit Jeff Eelkema).
So I spent a few hours in some very compromising positions cutting each stitch with a seam ripper. At one point, my wife came out into the garage and I caught her staring at me in one of many of those positions. She stared at me like a piece of meat. I felt violated.
Totally dig the fuss-free look of sans edging. Need to finish removing the last of the vinyl edging around the driver seat which will be done when I get the new seats. I vote brilliant.
Removing the vinyl edging has been a stop-and-go project. As I approached the other details I wanted to revisit from the first restoration of the interior, I decided to address them at that time. This mostly involved replacing miscellaneous hardware. I had a preference for all new shiny hardware and mistakingly bought hardware from Home Depot or after-market kits. One example, the heater slide screw set from Stoddard which turned out to have 7mm heads. Originals are 6mm – luckily I kept the originals (pictured on the right). They got a good cleaning and found their way back into their holes. The heater slides were re-plated during the first interior restoration.
Another example, the shift coupler tunnel cover – same deal (correct fasteners pictured on the right). BTW, you can check out an older post on re-doing the shift tunnel cover here.
Of course, we can’t neglect the roll bar hardware. Cleaned up a set of “period-correct” and factory used bolts with correct “KAMAX” embossing (left: before, right: after and bottom: referenced from Scareb Blue 911R – photo by Raj)
So as you can see, these “little” changes represent my current mindset. I’m done with perfect shiny re-plated hardware. I prefer originals that have aged gracefully. I avoid the Home Depot fastener hardware isle. I prefer spending hours at EASY or Partsheaven looking through their bins and boiling the bits in Purple Power industrial cleaner. I do think there is something to be said for hardware that once occupied the Porsche factory shelves over forty years ago as opposed to the Home Depot shelves. Honestly, it’s re-doing the 1% and only 1% percent will ever even notice. Funny.